Also there is a stylistic device of categories of time usage. In the given text fragment we have the narrator’s dreams about her future marriage. In the beginning her thoughts have grammatically correct construction, according to the sequence of tenses and the conditional modality: ‘I would be his wife, we would walk in the garden together, we would stroll down that path in the valley to the shingle beach’; ‘We would be in a crowd of people, and he would say…’ But the heroine is so fascinated in a considering of the future, that her thoughts are becoming chaotic, incorrect from the angle of the grammar. In order to create an effect of a flow of consciousness the author uses participles (it will be described in my work later), and the forms of the present tense instead of the past tense: ‘And a woman comes in, smiling; she is Maxim's sister, and she is saying…’ Du Maurier used this device for showing the described events more vividly, for providing the visual demonstration.
We can see there a lot of participles: ‘Going down to the lodge with a basket on my arm’; ‘Maxim sitting at the end’; ‘Someone knocking at the door’. Mainly such constructions are used not as a part of the sentence. They are used separately, turning into the incomplete sentences. The usage of participles is a stylistic device which helps to show a flow of consciousness
The other form of the stylistic morphology is the usage of the pronouns. During the novel we have not found out a name of the main heroine. The author almost all the time used for her description the various forms of pronouns: ‘I drummed with my fingers on the table’; ‘I'm being rather a brute to you’; ‘Oh, but she's simply charming, you must meet her’. More often Daphne used different variants of I, because the story goes from first person. Such stylistic device pursues simultaneously some purposes. With its help the author enters the reader in the thick of things, representing the unknown as already known. The usage of pronouns in such cases specifies intimacy, trusting intonation between the author and the reader, as though the reader is included in conversation and becomes listener and its direct participant. Also the given device can be used in order to create an internal
- Вышивка гладью
- Взрослая игра с детьми: маргинальность в романах Любка Дереша "Архе" и "Странные дни Гане Грач"
- Креативность как составная часть личности
- Воспитательное мероприятие Т.Г.Шевченко и Родина - частица сердца каждого патриота-украинский
- Формы и методы работы с детьми и молодежью в "Пласте"
- Системы заданий по формированию понятия о части величины и дробь
- Искусство рассказа Чарльза Диккенса в его романах
- Фантастика и реальность в романе "Путешествия Гулливера" как составной части творчества Джонатана Свифта
- Флора и растительности на территории Полесской части Ровенской области
- Социальная работа с молодежью